View Profile squidly

All 295 Game Reviews

108 w/ Responses

Extremely fun level design, really, you have a knack for that.

Now, I'm gonna give you some solid advice you might wanna take to heart - sometimes certain aesthetics in writing don't pan out. In this case, the writing on the wall just feel forced. And this is coming from someone who writes stuff like this all the time, but you need to make sure the context works. In this case it just felt off. It felt more like "generic indie emotional writing" that actually took away from the atmosphere more than anything else.

An immediate fix would be, imo, to make it more of a character monologue between levels. Really build into it. Forget the whole "there were people here, ominous sentient ancient words that change whenever I'm around" schtick and give the character an actual voice before the end of the game. That way, you actually got a build up into the end.

If you DO want to build a lore for what happened at this temple, put some murals on the wall or something. If you want a fantastic example of temple world building, I'd hit up the La Mulana series. But honestly? This game doesn't actually *need* that. Just keep it personal, give that build up, and you've got a something.

Otherwise, lemme just say, I really did have a lot of fun with this game. It wasn't particularly hard, some bits were a bit frustrating mostly because of the spike hitbox on top felt a little wonky and the character felt too slidey, but otherwise this is really solid, really good, stuff. I encourage you to keep at this.

Pretty fun tribute but it's held back by some very wonky collision detection, the hitboxes aren't "square" like the image is, being about 2 - 5 pixels less, and it leads to a lot of falling off the edge. If this is an engine problem, I recommend giving a few frames jump forgiveness Donkey Kong style and you got yourself a real winner.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Wow.

needs more explosions

I absolutely lost it playing this game. My friend was confused as I just laughed for a straight 30 seconds straight from playing "Ginger Kid 4" lmao.

A little too linear to justify metroidvania but it's decent, why are there holes I can cross over, though? And why can't I reset after dying using the keys? Why do I have to switch to mouse controls?

gamesbynoe responds:

To cross over the big holes you need to find double jump ability. Thank you.

You know what? I actually liked this. You could've done more with the boss fights, and some levels were significantly harder than others (dunno why but the fireball stairs gave me the hardest time, the timing was pretty tight.)

I really liked the Kirby 64-sounding tracks, the pixel art was on point, and the levels were fun. Good job.

I mean at first I was like c:
But then I was like :c
Clicking on everyone made me c:
But then the credits happened with that song and I was :c again

But I guess in the end it's all c:

This game was violent, vulgar, and satanic.

It goes 100% against my Christian values and therefore is complete garbage and shouldn't be played by anyone with any moral character.

Burn hell, Satanist.